Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Pie is Worth a Thousand Words

When it comes to meeting new people, I can rock it for all of ten minutes.  I'm good with names, and can come up with a few good questions to get some key details and information out of someone.  But put me with a stranger for any longer than ten minutes, and I'll start wishing I had a Smartphone, a magazine, or anything to draw the attention away from my inability to gab.

So with Call Day two weeks away, I've come to realize that I'll soon be thrust into a congregation full of strangers, and expected to talk to them.  I figure I'll be set for the first few Sundays.  Those early Narthex chats will be all about basic information, and I'll rock.  After that, my plan is to hand out pie.*  They'll forgive my speechlessness if I'm passing out homemade confections, right?

Mmmmmm, boy! Pie Heaven!







*You may be wondering why I would pick pie.  After all, it has a reputation of being finicky, and Pillsbury seems to be making a killing off everyone's fear of crusts.   I don't mean to brag, but merely state the facts.  I always rock at pie.  Always.

8 comments:

  1. pious, piety; the puns they practically write themselves...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember hearing, "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." I think a good pie is a way to everyone's heart, especially if you rock at pie. I hope I can rock at pie someday. Blessings on your meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your adorable son will make everything go smoother. Everyone likes to talk about cute kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon- :)

    Cathy- It was through pie (and an entire month's worth of free dinners) that I won my husband!!

    Rachel- True enough. I usually can come up with something he's done that brings a laugh or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having eaten your pie, I can heartily add my agreement: you rock at pie. :) God's peace be yours as you await Call Day and beyond!

    -Kristin A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin, Funny thing about you- last week I was making pie, and I had this flashback to the time you helped me make apple pie in our tiny kitchen. Perhaps you don't remember (it wouldn't surprise me- it was like 10 mundane minutes of our lives), but I happen to remember it very vividly. I could even write a transcript of the conversation we had (again, very mundane). The things we remember...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just heard the call news. So so happy for you dear sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melrose, thank you! We are excited, too!

    ReplyDelete